Friday, April 16, 2010

The Minority Report - "Kick-Ass" (2010)


I just got out of the movie “Kick Ass.” I will be honest I am going into this review a tad biased as I have been hyped to see this movie after the first murmur of its creation. For me, the movie had to live up to a higher expectation than a regular viewer. It succeeded and surpassed my expectations—no, it seized my expectations and shredded it with its all around greatness. This movie grabbed me, shook me, and then finally shot me out of a window with a bazooka.

The story starts off slow (which is not a bad thing), introducing the main character of Dave Lizewski. Dave is a very average teenage kid. I can not describe him any more than that, he really is that average. The only thing that sets him apart from others is his dreams of being a super hero. Not a super hero that has special powers or abilities, just an attitude and straight morals. He ends up caught up in this self made world of masked vigilantes and a surprisingly deep conspiracy. The other “super heroes,” are not exactly what you expect, and have much character depth; especially the pair of Big Daddy, played by Nicholas Cage (giving one of his best performances in a long while), and Hit Girl, played by Chloë Moretz ("Diary of a Wimpy Kid", "(500) Days of Summer"), who gives one of the best and most profound performances that I have ever seen in a child actress. Do not expect a simple action movie from this, it’s not (but the action still rocks), the story rivals the best in the genre.

You must go see this movie. There are some things to be wary of before going to see this film. There is a lot of cursing and violence. This movie truly earns the “R” rating, so I implore you not to take your children to this movie, even though it may be tempting with the super hero subject. This movie does what Zombieland did with the zombie genre, but with super hero movies. It may be funny, but it still has an inspiring tale. In fact, I would even dare to say it is easily on par with “The Dark Knight,” a super hero movie with a highly more recognizable character, and a much larger budget.

Lionsgate has truly found the formula for success. They do not have a large budget and don’t need one. They simply need a good story and a compelling telling of the story. The director did a fantastic job with this movie, with its multiple turns and plot changes. I noticed a hint of inspiration from other action orientated directors and movies like “Sin City” and “Kill Bill.” I really must say that it is very rare for me to come out of a movie with absolutely zero complaints. Simply put “Kick Ass,” kicks ass. This movie is the Da Vinci of super hero movies and is not like watching paint dry, in fact this movie makes watching paint dry kick major ass.

By V-Dawg

No comments:

Post a Comment