Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Minority Report - "Thor" (2011)


Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.

Thor is just one of those movies. I had heard about it, but I wasn’t that intrigued by it. I knew what it was about and where it had come from (the Marvel universe, etc.), but I was just apathetic towards it. When V-Dawg told me that we should go see it, I agreed…who would pass up a good movie on a Friday night? We went with a huge group of people to the 3D screening (more on that later), and watched it. I must say, I was genuinely impressed by the movie.

The story centers on the gods of Norse Mythology. Here, though, they are aliens that live in the center of the galaxy. Their home called Asgard and had been at war with a species called the Frost Giants of Jotunheim in the past, but they had been dealt with until the day that Thor (Chris Hemsworth) was going to ascend to the throne and replace his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Against his father’s orders, Thor decides to journey to Jotunheim along with his brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), his friend, Sif (Jaimie Alexander), and a group that has fought alongside him before, called the Warriors Three—Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Fandral (Joshua Dallas), and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano). There, he confronts Laufey (Colm Feore), the leader of the Frost Giants, trying to find out how they managed to sneak into Asgard. A battle ensues because of Thor’s arrogance, and Odin has to save them from getting killed, pitting Asgard at war with the Frost Giants once more. As a result, Odin exiles Thor to Earth, and curses his hammer so that it may only be used by he who is worthy. From there, Thor has to figure out what has transpired in Asgard, and how to get back before it is too late.

The movie genuinely surprised me. From its honest humor to its overly dramatic fight sequences, I was drawn in. The dialogue was smartly written to contrast Thor’s upbringing from the mortals, and the acting was quite impressive. Considering the fact that this is a movie based on a comic book, it is an excellent breath of life for the superhero genre. The characters (by someone who was unaware or ignorant of the fact that this is based on a comic book) might come across as two dimensional, but for others, their personalities and back-stories are evident. One thing that bothered me was that the movie felt rushed. It was almost as if it was missing something. It’s an immensely enjoyable movie, nonetheless, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to people. If you have the choice, don’t watch it in 3D, since it is unnecessary and adds nothing to the movie. Everyone that reads my writings knows my feelings towards 3D, but rest assured that you shouldn’t spend the extra money if you can. This movie is like watching paint dry on a hammer that gives the wielder Thor’s powers.


By Kulguy

2 comments:

  1. Nice plug you egotistical bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Egotistical Bastard" is a cute pet name, but I prefer Kulguy. It's an appropriate plug because I don't feel like going into as much detail about 3D when it is unnecessary and I have already written about it. I hope I addressed your comment accurately.

    ReplyDelete